Sunday, January 10, 2010

The only Factory on Tahiti makes Beer


Tahiti
I saw three nights four days in Tahiti.
I flew out of LAX the evening of New Years sitting in emergency row seating aboard Air France. We touched down at 5am and after dropping the bags at the hotel (couldn’t check in), I explored Papeete with my soon-to-be British bunkmate who was on the same flight. We found others who would be aboard the ship with us and traveled the market; I got a pareo and of course a refrigerator magnet (I collect).

After a mid-morning tour of the Melville, beer was enjoyed; all US Vessels are strictly dry, so we needed to get our kicks in while still in port. This was the first of three nights that featured Hinano, the beer of Tahiti.
After a rain-filled night, five of us figured out a rental car with which to do some waterfalling. A beautiful coast road later and we found Les Tres Cascades, three huge waterfalls made even larger by the consistent rain. While swimming was too dangerous due to that rain, the hike was through gorgeous jungle terrain.

That afternoon saw the first of three dives I completed while in Tahiti. It was a good first dive to get me comfortable after my two year dive hiatus since Barbados. Partying ensued back in Papeete that night, this time with karaoke, dancing, and poorly-fitted, club-provided, close-toed shoes.
Things I’ve learned:
-Air France provides unlimited Baguettes and Wine.
-The only factory on Tahiti makes beer.
-Tahiti is beautiful, but damned expensive.

2 comments:

  1. "After a mid-morning tour of the Melville, beer was enjoyed; all US Vessels are strictly dry, so we needed to get our kicks in while still in port."

    strategery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good writing. Keep them coming and keep them short, said the reporter.

    ReplyDelete