Monday, September 24, 2012

Ocean in a CO2 World, pre-Conference Report


I'm in Monterey, at a conference. Specifically, I'm at the 3rd annual Ocean in a High CO2 World.

I am reaching an important point in my thesis. My lab measures light at the surface and at depth; the amount of light absorption between the two sensors can give chlorophyll concentrations. It seems like the method works, but I don't know what to do with it; I am having trouble coming up with that next step. I hope this conference will help me develop a question to ask.

There's also a Blue Ocean Film Festival this week. It's attracting a crowd devoted to giving Ocean Science information to the public. I'm excited to crash some of the workshops, they sound super neat.

Anyways, I grew up between San Diego and Monterey, so I decided to drive here.

I made it home Friday, and had my parents and a warm meal waiting for me. It was a leisurely day on Saturday; some good news came in early, which created levity. After that, my dad and I washed my car and we all watched UCLA lose. Dolphins were going crazy when the sun went down.

Today, I drove the coast road and listened to a Bill Bryson book on tape. I got booklets to both conferences, and am creating my schedule now.

Something Interesting:
--My hotel internet doesn't work. It seems I'll be using the conference internet all week.

--I get free admission to the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

--It felt great in the RAV4, cruising the 500+ miles with ease.

Driving on Friday; this was my drive to and from High School

Sunset on Saturday

The parents, with the incorrect Sweatshirt

Dolphins going CRAZY

Sweet rocks

Sweet Birds

Coast road on Sunday.

It was foggy, but this added it's own Beauty. I know what this
drive looks like, it was neat to know what's there, and not be able to see it;
an interesting kind of power

Trying some macro

Variable results



A kite

Waves looked fun



No comments:

Post a Comment